A Comforting Taste of Home



As a college student and being a part of the cheerleading team, balancing a busy schedule and cooking meals can be difficult. But when I am craving comfort food that reminds me of home, I make the effort to find time to recreate dishes that bring me some nostalgia. For me, one of those dishes is matzo ball soup.

My family makes matzo ball soup almost every holiday, and it was a meal that I was looking forward to making at school. This dish is very light and keeps you full and it is something I can make on a tight budget as a college student. The best part about this recipe is that it reminds me of home and puts me in a state of ease when I feel homesick.

The beauty of Matzo Ball Soup is that it is very easy to make and doesn't require a lot of equipment. For this recipe, I used 1 package of Manischewitz Matzo Ball Soup Mix, 2 large eggs, 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, and 2 quarts of water. I started by mixing the matzo ball mix with the eggs and the avocado oil. Once that was all mixed I put the matzo ball mix in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. While the matzo ball mix was in the fridge, I started to boil the 2 quarts of water and added in the matzo ball soup mix. After 15 minutes, I took the matzo ball mix out of the fridge and started to shape it into little balls about 1 inch in diameter. Once that was done, I placed the matzo balls into the boiling water and let it cook for about 20 minutes. After it cooked for 20 minutes it was all done!

I have to say that this might have been one of my favorite recipes to make and it tasted just like it does when my family makes it at home. Although this recipe is a little time-consuming, it was a way to bring a piece of home to school which I needed. I highly recommend this recipe for anyone who wants a comfort meal or if you are ever feeling homesick. 

Comments

  1. I tried Matzo ball soup my first time at Hillel last year. It was so delicious. I think you should make some and bring it to class! I am going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment